12.04.2008

Photo: panoramics...


click for the original... then you'll see how big I can print em...

A lot of folks ask me how I made some of my panos. It's no secret... and it's easy... here's how.
  1. Taking the picture... I use my canon SD870..., have used older canons... but you can really do it with any camera with practice. Put the camera on stitch assist mode... this keeps the camera at the same lighting exposure, focal length, etc... so it's important that the first shot is focused on whatever you are taking (by pressing the button halfway down) and then moving it to where you want to start the panoramics... (take a bunch... lots of room for error... so yeah, get a big card, and shoot away!)
  2. Use Autostitch... a freeware much better than the canon stitching software... and you should play around with photosynth too. That looks cool...
  3. Organize your folders... put all your stitched pics in seperate folders... this'll make things easier.
  4. set autostich at 25% in the output... (or 100% if you have a fast computer)... this is my first cut... to see if the pano is going to work out.
  5. If it is, I re-do the pano at 100%.
  6. To crop, I use photoshop...
  7. and if I want to print her out, I'll probably enhance the pic (auto levels, auto color, etc.) and here you have a few options (let me know if you have a good one...)
  8. The copy central in Berkeley (at Shattuck Square) is where I have traditionally taken my pics... on a flash drive. I think they charge like 8$/sq ft. for semi-glossy...
  9. or you can look for online places... I've just ordered one from here. I'll let you know how they fair.
I've got a whole slew of panos... here...

And if you don't wanna slog through them all... here are some of the best... though it hasn't been updated in a while...

1 comment:

AM said...

how cool! I'm going to try it. Then I'm going to ask you how you get them printed.