6.22.2009

Up to Cairns...



After the Whitsundays, we rented a car in Airlie Beach to head up to Cairnes.

Getting my mop chopped right after the 5 month mark... by the backpacker camped next to us.


Ha, check out this out... best of both worlds? A basket with wheels? Not really, it's more like a heavy basket or a tiny cart...


This area is Sugar Cane and Mango territory...


We got some frozen mangoes... mmm


And made it up to Townesville the first day... where we saw the first of many fig? trees. These are amazing.


Townesville has a huge hill (Castle Hill) in the middle of town. A very popular running route, I made it up there 5 times during my 24 hour stay. My legs were happy to get out of the kayak I think... Oh, I did see one climbing route up it... the rock looks pretty choss however...


On the way back to the campground, this dog nearly got run over on the highway. He just sat in the middle of the highway, so I had to run out and carry him out of the street. Turns out he was a pretty good dog, as he could sit, stay, and heel. No tag, no collar... so after carrying him a few blocks away from the highway, I knocked on the door of the friendliest looking house and asked the lady what I should do. Turns out he's her boyfriend's dog... anyway, so I was late from my run.


I love these trees.




I'm guessing earthquakes are uncommon in Townesville...


One of the many reasons Kim insists on sleeping inside a tent in OZ.

No comments: